Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Reflecting on 2015 "Opus" Modern Expressionistic Abstract Painting by Elizabeth Chapman



"Opus"
Acrylic on 30"H x 40"W x 1.5" wrap canvas

Original Available from my website: HERE or contact me: elizabethchapman@artlover.com


"It brings me much joy just to be the brush in the Master Painter's hand and to realize that His creations are made to bring great joy to all.  My paintings are a form of song, dance and praise in response to the beauty of life.   -Elizabeth


I began another post this morning with the new mini 2016 paintings.  Then, I found myself reflecting upon this last year and thinking perhaps that would make a better post.  I am not one for New Year's Resolutions nor setting goals. Not that  I don't believe in them, it's just that they don't work for me. It's more from an overall vision that they unfold.  For this past month I have been working on and writing down new painting ideas, marketing and overall stuff.  Those could be used for another post. For now, I want to reflect on 2015...

This has been my BEST year if it where to be measured monetarily.  It all depends on how a person measures success. In 2008, I resigned from a well paying teaching position as a high school art teacher to pursue my dream (those earlier post can be read here, see side bar.)  The first year I worked every day, literally from 8-3 painting and teaching myself everything that I would need in order to market my own work. I made a three digit income that year!! But, it was a success in that you've got to start somewhere and that it had.  Each year thereafter, there has been an increase of which I have always been thankful. I can now say that I am making the same income that I was as an employed public school teacher.  In that respect I am so ever more thankful for all the years of hard work and persevering.  I am now hoping to double that!! which means....more work, work, work!!

So, what has made the biggest difference with this last year? Certainly, years of experience do play in. But, let me just give credit to where credit is due. I paint from my heart.  It could be one that is full of joy, praise or thanksgiving or yes even with sadness, grief or worry.  Most always, I begin with knowing that my hands will do the physical work, BUT the creating comes from the Master Painter.  In faith, I step in to begin the work and He is faithful to gift me, complete it and find the rightful owners. 

The painting that I have chosen for this post is one of my favorites from this past year. My favorites are not always necessarily the most popular of my abstracts.  In fact, some of my least favorites often turn out to be the most popular paintings.  So, I never know. But, I do know that it pays to be faithful, show up to that easel each day...and paint!  

I have read of my work being described as poetic. Since I so often am inspired by and paint to music, I like to think of it as a visual musical composition. 


"Opus"... a musical composition.

Looking forward  to many more creative 2016 endeavors!


Elizabeth Chapman
Contemporary Abstract Artist


2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Thanks for sharing!!
I wish you a year of love and peace!!

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Aww..Sue, thank you so much! I wish that to you as well!