Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Progression of a commission (part 2)....


Commissioned painting

Acrylic on 36" x 50" x 3/4" wrap canvas



Painting I'm working from.


A continuation from yesterdays post where the basic outlines were sketched on the canvas first.  My next step was to lay in the colors of the background.  As you can see from this photo the back ground colors are in and I almost forgot to take a photo of this stage.   The progression photo shows some of the floral work in it's beginning stages.

Plans and time seem to disappear once I get into a painting.  Many times my intention is show a progression of a painting from beginning to completion but then I get swept into the painting and the plan is forgotten and there are no photos.

A little extra here, as you get to see the wall that many of the larger abstracts have been painted on. Nice uh. Most the time I'm working on either an easel or a flat studio table.  I will start on the easel, but then when I really get into it, the painting will be placed on the table where I can rotate and paint from all sides.  It's a little bit more difficult to do this with the large, large ones, although I have put them on the floor before and walked around them.  It helps me a lot to be able to see from different viewpoints.

Next, I will focus more on the bouquet but still paying attention to the background. Light layers of color and patterns will be laid over the previous layers.  Lastly, I will be looking for all the details in order to get as close to the requested painting as possible.    We'll see what happens.....


Many more abstracts can be seen in my web gallery: HERE

Elizabeth Chapman
Contemporary Abstract Artist

No comments: