Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Continuum, Modern Contemporary Abstract, Original, Expressionistic, Revisited Painting, Elizabeth Chapman

'Continuum'
Acrylic on 40" x 30" x 1.5" canvas
Available




(revisited)



(before)


To revisit a painting is to rework it long after it has been declared as finished or maybe even exhibited, as this one has been.  The before image of this painting is from 2009 and I had really enjoyed the simplicity of the design from the beginning.  As time went on, I would look at it and feel as if perhaps others couldn't see what I was seeing, thinking maybe I had just stopped to soon.  So, I went back in using the original design as the foundation to elaborate on with the intention of keeping it much the same. Well, one thing led to the next, then another and so continued.

I did a little research on this topic, because I was wondering about how to sign a painting like this on the back.  Is it o.k. to change the title? Do you list it as revisited? Well, what I found was interesting. I learned that there have been many well known artists that have had exhibits showcasing only their paintings that have been revisited.  I don't think I'll ever be a famous artist or have enough of these for one single show, but I will sign the back as revisited with the year and keep the original title.


5 comments:

Niki Jackson said...

I love the changes you made Elizabeth. The top left hand corner is my favourite part, it really draws me in. Beautiful work. Niki x

Kimberly Conrad Colorado Contemporary Artist-Modern Abstract Landscape Artist said...

love, love ,love the new version!!!!

Carol Engles said...

Elizabeth,
I love the new version, too! The swirling lines in the painting give it a new dimension.

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments..it's been good hearing from you.

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

I love your revisited piece, it's just amazing.