Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Second Life


"Second Life"
Contemporary Abstract Mixed Media
20" x 30" on illustration board
Framed in silver frame to 23" x 33"

 This one turned out to be a beautiful piece, although I wasn't sure I would be able to pull the idea off.  Lately, I've been working abstractly,loosely,expressionistically, yet incorporating that element of realism as well.  I've been enjoying the change in painting very much and feel as if growth is occurring.  This is the life of the painting that others can see, but there is another life and that is the process that is also a part of the paintings life.

There are so many ideas, problem solving and thoughts that go into a work.  I thought I would write about a few of those that stood out to me as I was working on this one. 

1. For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven..... Ecclesiates 3:1-14
I seem to have a difficult time living in the present- there's a lot of what if's, or when, or will---
this can lead to discouragement-- which is were I go often, but He provides ways in which I can be once again encouraged- Yesterday, it was my husband, Donnie who as usual puts things in perspective for me.  He confirmed in me that this is a time to grow in who I am as an artist- to paint, to produce and the other stuff will be taken care of in it's time.  Because I resigned from a teaching position that was a good part of our income, I will often worry about finances.  His little pep talk helped me get up and go paint.  My husband also gave me this verse as I first began this new journey last summer- "Do not despise the small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel's hand.  Zechariah 4:10  This speaks to me about today.  Live in the present. 

2.  Another thought I had and this one seems to be more of a reoccurring one, but it always blows me away in the way a work can seem like it's not working, it's not going to, how can all these different pieces come together creating a unified piece- and then it happens.  There it is- a beautiful piece.  This reminds me of how the Master artist works, taking all these broken parts, what seem to be messed up lives, or whatever the case might be, and uses them in such a way to bring the greatest good out of it.

3.  Also, I thought of how other artists have been used along the way in order to either just get me started, to encourage and nurture my talent, or to give advice.  Whatever the case might have been God provides in order that growth may occur.

4. And lastly, how creating can be an act of worship.  We often think of this with music, but there are so many other areas as well.  The process of taking those talents that have been given to you and using them creates a joy, that offers praises and thanksgiving to the Creator.  So, creating can be a lot like singing a praise song, only it's not seen or heard by others.

These were just a few of the thoughts that went with this painting. Often time, there are thoughts of family, friends, others, and prayer that will occur.  I've often entertained the thought, that perhaps the process might actually be the better part.  But then, perhaps there is a process for those who view the work.  Michael Card in the book he wrote "Scribbling in the Sand" says that what Jesus did when he scribbled in the sand created a space in time that allowed the angry mob to cool down and then to hear a word. --- If what we create, write, dance or sing can open up such a space in time through which God may speak, imagine the possibilities!"
So it seems there is always more there than meets the eye- a second life- 

No comments: