Monday, May 13, 2013

in time...

'Crown'

Acrylic on 24" x 24" x 1.5" wrap canvas






Does a painting have to be completed before moving on to another?  I have not been one to set a painting aside, moving on and then coming back to it later.  I must confess I do become obsessed and immersed in my work until it is finished.  But, only one at a time.  I am beginning to think that maybe I should give myself permission to allow a work to rest a bit.  This too can be a part of the process.  This one I guess, has had me thinking in that direction as I just wasn't totally satisfied with the painting that it was...and so decided to go back in and resolve it.  It is the third painting update on this one canvas. Hopefully, I can remember to just let go...it can always be picked up on another day, week, month...year?!!   I absolutely love it! now....


thanks for reading!

more of my contemporary abstracts can be seen and are available from my web gallery: HERE

enjoy!


Elizabeth Chapman
Contemporary Abstract Artist

4 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

love the colours in this one. Because of the materials I use, I have two pieces on the go at one time so that I don't get hung up waiting for things to dry or set up. That said I tend to keep at a painting until I feel it's done, however it takes hanging it for me to get the full picture which can mean some changes required :-) Whatever works!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth, I love this painting too! The red color in combination with the black in contrast to the ochre is absolutely beautiful!!!
It gives off a nice warm feeling!

Unknown said...

Hi, Elizabeth! This painting is G O R G E O U S! I love it. I don't even think there are WORDS that can describe how this painting has moved me!!! And I think giving yourself permission to rest a painting is a great idea. I do that. In fact, I have a sanatorium of paintings dotting the studio that are in various stages of resting. And when it's time to complete one, they let me know it. xoxo

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Thanks to each of you for your lovely comments. Love hearing from you!!