Thursday, May 6, 2010

May First Friday Night Art Walk..... "Frama" Modern Contemporary Expressionism Abstract Painting by Elizabeth Chapman

Frama
Acrylic on 24" x 48" x 1.5" gallery canvas
Available from Hawthorn Galleries


I absolutely love hearing how the abstract paintings speak to people in so many different ways.  The opening for the May show "Studio Madness" at Hawthorn Galleries begins with the First Friday of May.  I will be showing there along with two other very talented women this month.  I know I have already posted this one, but this time for the announcement of the opening I thought I would share the painting that I seem to be the most partial to and how it speaks to me.

I began this painting without any preconceived idea other than I wanted to keep the colors light.  I was working with the same color palette I had been using with the Quad and Myriad series.  There is a process here of layering colors allowing the painting to unfold it's expression.  I used various tools and methods in applying the paint such as brushstrokes, a roller and drips.  I finalized it with circle shapes in order to bring certain areas into a focal point.  So... as I am working I am also beginning to sense a feeling or mood developing from this painting.  One of my favorite if not favorite seasons of the year is summer time and that is what this painting began to remind me of.  There is this song that Donnie has been playing a lot lately... and think it fits the feeling that this painting gives me so very well.  Summertime.... this is Billy Holiday's version. Listen... if you have time.


I am so very thankful for the opportunities that have been given to me to share my art with others.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!!

2 comments:

Jennifer McLean said...

Hi Elizabeth,
As I've told you before, I love your artwork and am inspired by it. Because of that, I had to include you in a blog award. If you'd like to display it (you don't have to if you don't want to) please come on over to my blog (www.justaddwatersilly.com) to pick it up.
I'm so glad to hear about your showing, I hope you sell out like no other!
Best,
Jenn

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your kind words, the blog award and visiting my site. So humbled to hear that you are inspired by my work. Hope you continue to paint inspiring others!!