Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Famine



Image size: 12"x12"

Well, here they are- Abstracts! I've been putting this off for a while. Some people will say abstracts are really easy just throw some paint on the canvas. I know it appears that way, but the actual painting of them for me is more difficult than working realistically, but change is good.

I started yesterday by laying all these canvases out on tables in my studio. I began by first of all putting some music on and then just having fun with paint and brush in hand going through and splashing color on the canvases. While the paint was still wet I went in and began blending and working with colors I had placed on the canvas. These three squares seemed to go together.

Today, I decided I would spend more time on a particular one. I chose to work on this set first. There is a lot of problem solving going on with this process of working. The image is just not there, so I have to continually be asking myself questions and responding to the work. It's like a dialogue that is going on. I was thinking as I was working today, how much safer I feel when I am working with the realistic paintings. For one there is a photo to work from and for the most part I know where I'm going with it. With the abstracts I feel as if I am constantly needing to take a risk and that makes me nervous, but it pushes me towards more problem solving and creativity.

Also, I feel much more vulnerable when I display the abstracts. I think it might because I am pouring my self out and am feeling exposed. I know this may sound a little strange. I experienced it the first time I displayed my collage abstracts. As I was working on these, the title Famine, came to my mind. It made me think about the famine that our country seems to be in, with everyday there is more news about jobs being terminated, the economy, etc., It seems like we are in a famine, and then is it only a financial one? It seems as if there is a fog, but there are still shimmers of color, of hope and truth to be seen. Fix your eyes on the hope.

Well, I hope to work on another set of these tomorrow.


3 comments:

Tina said...

My, these are gorgeous! I especially like the one with the bright blue showing through next to the cherry color (the middle one). It IS hopeful feeling just to look at, and I like that. The contrast is wonderful, the blending... yep, I like them all!
You are a very special person, being able to work so well with both abstract and realism. It's an envy of mine. :") I look forward to seeing more of these, eventually, and thank you for sharing such a nice vulnerability. It was worth it!

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Tina,
Thank you sooo much for the encouraging words!! It means alot to me.

Julie Ann Art said...

Hi! I found your blog through Elsie's. I just wanted to say that I am the SAME way...everything I paint is always so controlled, drawn out first and stay within the lines and yadda yadda. I would love to be able to freely just paint and have it be amazing but unfortunately that comes much more difficultly to me!