Monday, November 17, 2014

Original Abstract Expressionism "Lumina" by Elizabeth Chapman


Lumina
Acrylic on 24" x 48" x 1.5" canvas
Click on image for larger view

Available

Email: elizabethchapmanart@gmail.com

This one was painted weeks ago before venturing into painting the previously posted floral abstracts.  It went through three distinct stages each one could have been a painting in itself.  Sometimes continuing is a difficult decision to make when a painting is going well, yet you know it just isn't there yet.  It reminds me of a statement I once read from an artist's interview.  The question asked was "when do you know that the painting is complete?" followed by..."and aren't you afraid you might go past that point?" The answer was something like this..."there are endless amounts of time the painting could have been considered completed and it would have been ok. I simply don't worry about it, for you see if I should past that point and continue, another point of completion will occur." 

I took this painting past several points where I could have called it done, yet was not ready to call it finished. It was the third take in which I became totally immersed with enjoying the process of painting.  I remember thinking how this must be the way a child paints. Not so much thinking about "the rules" that we have picked up along the way, but more about, "oh, this area is so pretty, I think I'll circle it" or why not put this color over here....living in total freedom!

Please visit my online web gallery by clicking: HERE

Elizabeth Chapman
Contemporary Abstract Artist


No comments: