Wednesday, September 25, 2013

go ahead, play....


Inspira
Acrylic on 36" x 36" x 1.5" wrap canvas

Available


I've been working on creating some paintings with thin layers of paint.  This one began that way...and as you can see it ended with thick layers of paint. Next to color,  I enjoy having textures in my paintings. Kinda difficult to get away from. The something new that I learned with this one is that an interesting contrast can be created by having a textured shape next to smoother areas.  As the paint continued to be added and I had switched over to working with a palette knife, I decided to squeeze some Liquitex coarse sand texture directly into the golden yellow paint. Then mixed it in with a palette knife.  (Ordinarily I will layer my textures on the canvas first, letting it dry before painting or the texture is built up by the paint itself.)  Pretty much only used it in those areas and left it to dry.  Loved the contrast it created in texture on the surface of the canvas.  Playing more with different types of shapes as well....so overall, it's just time to play!  Perhaps I'll give the lighter layers of paint another try... ?? or not!!


"Creative people are curious, flexible, persistent and independent with a tremendous spirit of adventure and a love of play." Henri Matisse


More abstracts can be seen and purchased directly from my Web Gallery: HERE
or email me: elizabethchapman@artlover.com


Elizabeth Chapman
Contemporary Abstract Artist

2 comments:

Shelley Whiting's art said...

This painting is very bright and playful. Gorgeous work.

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

SOOOoOooooo Pretty!