Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Makeover...."Affluence" Modern Art, Contemporary Abstract Painting, Elizabeth Chapman


'Affluence'
Acrylic on 24" x 24" x 1.5"




SOLD

This one just got a makeover! If you would like to see the original "Affluence" click here.
Lots of colors and patterns!!  My husband will often ask me "what were you thinking about as you painted this?", as a way to get an idea for titles. Well, with this one I thought I about a high school art student I had had when I first began teaching.  Lindsay was an extremely artistically talented student that used all her electives on art classes.  Not only was she admired by the student body for her work but she also known for her eccentric and creative wardrobe.  Lindsay once told me, "If you put enough colors and patterns together, they'll match".   .... and that is what I was thinking as I worked on this painting as it was difficult to work with so much and pull it together.   Love it!!

I found the title to be much more fitting for this painting than it was for the original.  Guess, it was just meant to be taken to this level.. I don't like to change the titles when I revisit a painting because I would have to scratch it off the back of the canvas and just don't want it to look messy.  So, I went back and checked out the definition for Affuence----A great quantity; an abundance.  Most fitting...don't you think!

www.melizabethchapman.artspan.com


4 comments:

Deb Ammerman said...

Wow, fabulous makeover! I think it looks Great! :)

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Oh it is a fitting name. While I loved the original, I've got to say I so enjoyed hearing the inspiration and process you went through to do this re-mix. It's vibrant with life. Great post.
Really like your new banner too.

Elizabeth Chapman said...

Thanks...appreciate and love hearing your comments!

Paula In Pinetop said...

Love all the colors....especially those turquoise bits here and there....they really make it all come together....just my two cents.